Old 25-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Sugar Maple age

(Larry Harrell) writes:

See if you can borrow a nice sharp "increment borer". It's a device
for taking a small core sample of the tree. Boring into hardwoods
isn't very fun and counting the rings can also be difficult on an old
tree. It leaves a tiny hole, which some foresters plug back up with
the core when they're done. How bout it, guys? Any thoughts of that
practice? I worked with a former FIA plotter who claimed that it
wasn't necessarily the best thing to do, possibly inviting fungi and
diseases into the wood of the tree. I know that pines are very well
adapted to plugging the hole on their own.

This is a sugar maple, also well adapted to plugging its own holes. If
boring holes in them hurt sugar maples, my pancakes would be very sad.

I would just plug the surface, like any other hole.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc