Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Wine demijons, alternative use.

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
says... snip
http://s20.postimg.org/46gjawgx9/IMG_3986.jpg

My first attempt shattered after 2 mins. 2 mins is too long. The DJ is
still
useable, but it took a lot of sanding to remove the jagged edges.
At only 45 seconds of heat, the next 5 DJs were good.
The cut-line doesn't follow the string, perhaps 10mm away??
The edge is a bit wavy, but for protecting delicate garden plants, just a
few seconds with
abrasives is all that's required.

what a good idea, thanks. Demijohns turn up in garage sales and
jumbles, must keep an eye out.

The local Council dump used to be a good source at about 25p each. They've
closed their sale tables down, I suspect the taxman has been sniffing around

Neighbours donated 3 but 2 were the very dark demijons. I'll use these for
wine. There could be a glut of elderberry this year - if the amount of
flowers seen, is anything to go by.