Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Squash, Stem Borer help

wrote:
My zucchini and yellow squash have not been doing well in the last
few weeks and now I think I know why. I am pretty sure it is a stem
borer problem. The bottom of the stem at ground level is split right
up the middle. I am off to google for more information but I would
much rather hear from my fellow gardeners about your experiences and
knowledge. What do I do? I expect to pull everything out asap. I do
have time to re plant for this season if I do it quickly but what do
I do to the ground? Is this in anyway related to squash bugs that can
be treated with Seven Dust? Thanks for any help.

MJ

That does not sound like borers to me. Borers make a little hole in the
stem. You can cut them out if you slice parallel to the stem from the
hole towards the roots and the plant will recover.

Sevin is actually a good choice iff you really have an insect problem,
but keep it away from the flowers.

What does the new growth at the ends look like? Is it healthy, or
twisted and yellow?

Bob