Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Squash, Stem Borer help

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:27:39 PM UTC-4, zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:

My zucchini and yellow squash have not been doing well in the last

few weeks and now I think I know why. I am pretty sure it is a stem

borer problem. The bottom of the stem at ground level is split right

up the middle. I am off to google for more information but I would

much rather hear from my fellow gardeners about your experiences and

knowledge. What do I do? I expect to pull everything out asap. I do

have time to re plant for this season if I do it quickly but what do

I do to the ground? Is this in anyway related to squash bugs that can

be treated with Seven Dust? Thanks for any help.

MJ

That does not sound like borers to me. Borers make a little hole in the

stem. You can cut them out if you slice parallel to the stem from the

hole towards the roots and the plant will recover.

Sevin is actually a good choice iff you really have an insect problem,

but keep it away from the flowers.

What does the new growth at the ends look like? Is it healthy, or

twisted and yellow?

Bob

Twisted and yellow and split right up the middle. I pulled everything out. I tilled the space where the plants were and did see an actual bug.(I till by hand with a 3 prong hand tool) I did see one bug. I did not see anything that seemed like eggs and the plants are now 1/2 a mile down the road. I have started new seeds in grow pods so the new plants will not be going in the ground for a few days. Should I spray some Sevin on the ground or does that only work on foliage? There have been several bees around but they are not honey bees. Does that matter?
MJ