Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Hampton Court Newbie

On 2013-07-02 16:10:36 +0100, David Hill said:

On 02/07/2013 13:13, Derek wrote:
Have bought 3 tickets for next Thursday, never been to the show, (but
have been to the Palace) Any advice on getting the best show
experience appreciated

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)

Take wellies with you. if it rains hard or has rained hard parts cut up.
With wellies who cares?
Other than that Enjoy.

If wellies aren't needed, I wear my old, disgraceful and intensely
comfortable Docksides for such things. Shoes that are 'kind' are so
important the whole day can be wrecked without them. But of course,
that goes for any show, really. Our last visit there must be about 6
years ago but we bought a collapsible wheelbarrow, which we filled with
plants we bought as we went along and then took it to the plant crêche
and picked the lot up at the end. Imo, Hampton Court is *much* better
than Chelsea. Not only can you actually see the Show Gardens, you can
buy plants, not just order them! Other than the social kudos, the
whole 'Chelsea hype' evades my comprehension. It's over-crowded, the
showground is small and when it rains, everyone herds into the marquee
where you get knocked about by other people, who you, in turn, are
knocking about! Last time we went - again very many years ago - we
were staying just round the corner and got in as soon as the gates
opened. The weather wasn't good and the crowds round the Show Gardens
were so deep that we gave up, got pummelled in the marquee by rucksacks
and their owners, sheltering from the drizzle and went back to where we
were staying for tea. We just gave up, frankly! Hampton Court is a far
more enjoyable experience, ioo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com