Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Squash, Stem Borer help

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Bush-type summer squash are the least tolerant of borers, as unlike runner squash, they
can't reroot at intervals along the stem. Running butternut and cushaw winter squashes are
the most tolerant of borers, because in addition to being able to reroot as they run they
have solid stems which less likely to be completely destroyed by borers.

There is a vining summer squash called "Tatume" that has solid stems and
is not bothered by borers.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/2010/jun/tatume.html

One vine can totally take over your garden; they branch out, and each
branch can run 15 or 20 feet. I haven't grown them in a few years, I
may plant them again next year.

Bob