Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Question about an orange tree

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:01:31 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:49:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Thank you very much. I am also sharing some photos. The quality is not that great, hopefully it will still be useful for seeing/analyzing the problems further.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qz...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qz...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qz...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qz...it?usp=sharing

Mit - is this a full-size or a dwarf orange? They have differing needs.

I am the parent of a dwarf Washington orange that is (knock on wood) doing well. Finally, after 2 failed attempts. One was insufficient sun. The second, I don't know why.

Third time was the charm. When the first 12 or so oranges got ready to pick -- in So. Calif that's around January -- this secular being was so moved that I recited a blessing for first fruits.

Now there are 2 little babies just starting their long climb toward my bouche.

If yours is a dwarf, give it plenty of water -- not daily shallow, but approx weekly via long, slow flow. If you have rain, lucky you!

Fertilize according to plant's requirements; easily ascertained on-line. Don't just throw it on and work in; needs to be at appropriate time.

Keep us posted as to its progress.

HB

Additional note: When you water, don't put hose right at trunk. The small feeder roots, which are the ones that take in water and food, grow horizontally, so water should be applied at the edge of foliage.