Old 25-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Paul Rooney

Default One wasp

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:14:13 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Michael Saunby

Can any wasp experts say if wasps have much need for water at present?

As they are making paper from wood with the addition of saliva, surely
they must need water once nest building?

My insect book says a wasps nest may contain 20,000 individuals all
raised on insects "many of them harmful" so dont kill the queens in
spring. Thats what my book says.
I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

Ha ha! But did you know that squashed wasp attracts other wasps? I
can't remember who told me that, but it's true.
We get too worked up over them - a sting isn't so bad or so likely,
after all. We were at a cafe a few summers back on a very hot day, and
there were quite a few wasps around the outside tables. There was a
youngish couple with a baby there. When a wasp approaced their table
they got quite hysterical, ultimately running off into the cafe,
leaving the kid strapped in its high chair screaming its head off!
What a pair! That kid is going to be another of tomorrow's
vespaphobes, without a doubt.

--
Paul

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm