Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default First wasps' nest

On 2013-07-03 21:04:24 +0100, Bill Grey said:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:09:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We've just destroyed the first nest of the year. The cheeky devils were
taking over a bird box hanging in the courtyard outside the tea room's
back door. It would have been a nightmare for everyone! However, the
pest controller did warn me that they love the sort of humid weather
we've had and that the professionals think this is going to be a bad
year for wasps. Or a good year, if you're a wasp, I suppose!

Honey bees took over one of our bird boxes this year. If anything I
would rather have wasps as their stings don't hurt as much as bees.
Wasps are supposed to kill some other garden pests so maybe we should
leave them to it!

Steve

They are also known to raid bees hives so perhaps they're not so
friendly after all

Bill

The bees sting them to death but of course, that kills the bees.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com