Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Squash, Stem Borer help

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

My zucchini and yellow squash have not been doing well in the last few
weeks
and now I think I know why. I am pretty sure it is a stem borer problem.
The
bottom of the stem at ground level is split right up the middle. I am off
google for more information but I would much rather hear from my fellow
gardeners about your experiences and knowledge.
What do I do? I expect to pull everything out asap. I do have time to re
plant for this season if I do it quickly but what do I do to the ground? Is
this in anyway related to squash bugs that can be treated with Seven Dust?
Thanks for any help.

MJ

Sevin is a wide spectrum insecticide that will kill you pollinators, and
won't do you any good either.

http://win14.american.edu/safety/au/vault/000/000034.PDF
This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or
residues on plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl#Safety
Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is
classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)

Put in some bird baths, or feeders near garden.

Or, if you have a death wish, use Sevin.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.