Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_] View Post
Other than the social kudos, the
whole 'Chelsea hype' evades my comprehension. It's over-crowded, the
showground is small and when it rains, everyone herds into the marquee
where you get knocked about by other people, who you, in turn, are
knocking about! Last time we went - again very many years ago - we
were staying just round the corner and got in as soon as the gates
opened. The weather wasn't good and the crowds round the Show Gardens
were so deep that we gave up, got pummelled in the marquee by rucksacks
and their owners, sheltering from the drizzle and went back to where we
were staying for tea. We just gave up, frankly! Hampton Court is a far
more enjoyable experience, ioo.
When I worked in London, and it was free for RHS members, I used to go after work - everyone else was starting their journey home, so it was very pleasant. But the no-sales was a nuisance - gardening wouldn't be half they challenge without all these impulse-buy plants ;-)

I much preferred the monthly shows in the RHS halls at Vincent Square. Quiet, things to buy, different theme each month so you weren't trying to take in too much information all at once.

Now I just don't like the whole thing about shows - the crowds, the difficulty of finding the few stalls you'd be interested in - so I don't go to any of them.