Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Bird id?

On 2013-07-04 09:14:30 +0100, David Hill said:

It was too small for a crow and didn't have the movements or coloration
of a thrush. While we're not far from the Dart as the bird flies, we've
never seen waders here and its legs weren't long enough either, so the
woodpecker idea still seems most likely. Needless to say, we haven't
seen it again!

This is the Female Greater spotted Woodpecker, the size would be about
right, but I've never seen any of them on the ground,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps75a5dd38.jpg

David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

I've seen those on our nut feeders but I think that's a real
possibility. The bird was in the shadow of the foot of the Pinus
montezumae and what I thought was a russet or chestnut cap on its head
may well have been the red splodge. It was mostly side on to me, so I
wouldn't have seen the red rump. Later today, I'll scatter some bird
seed in that area and see if it attracts it again. I'm more likely to
get pigeons and jackdaws though!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com