Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New tools

Higgs Boson wrote:
Anybody happen to see this article in the NY Times about
[purportedly]ergonomic -- easy to use -- garden tools?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/ga...ing-pains.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/oeyopbd

My tools go back to the Pleistocene (so does my budget!) but I'm
curious if NG members have used any of these & what you thought of
them.

HB

A few thoughts. Tools have to be right for the purpose and right for you,
if it doesn't suit your hands, your strength and style, it doesn't matter
how much they claim to be 'ergonomic'. Mild steel tools, especially the
light pressed kind are often short lived, either they bend or rust. I
quite like cast aluminium hand forks and trowels as they aren't too heavy,
they are strong and will not rust. Rubber/polymer handles and grips are no
good if they are going to wear out in a year or two.