Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A competition - know your neighbours

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ykqh8ir5tkmi52/2.JPG

What is it?

aphid.

Correct. A rose aphid to be specific. There are many kinds of many
colours.

What is it sitting on?

not sure, very red sap.

A rose stem. Until I started macro photography I never knew roses had those
red knobs on their stems. Now that I think about it if you run your
fingertip over a rose stem, avoiding the thorns, it feels rough. I am
thinking that roughness is due to these knobs which are not visible to the
naked eye, not to my eye anyway. Does anybody know their purpose?

Is it male or female?

not sure, likely female.

I surely cannot tell by looks! As it is winter here I would expect them to
be in asexual reproduction mode and thus female. The white 'ghosts' are
discarded exoskeletons from bugs that have outgrown their skin.

For extra credit: what are the stalks on its behind for?

emitting defensive substances.

I think that is correct. Although there are many kinds of aphids I think
they all have this in common. The honeydew is not from these stalks but
from their behind.

but i like thinking they are jets.

Jet-powered aphids! Scary!

Prizes will be awarded for the best answers

Bird has another doll to add to his collection.

I wonder if the poor response to this challenge indicates lack of knowledge
or interest in bugs. I would think this is something gardeners ought to
take an interest in.

David