Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default kumquat tree

On 7/3/2013 9:53 AM, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:
I have a small kumquat tree in a small pot. This is the third year I've had
it and it's in the original pot I bought it in. I kept it in the small pot
because I over wintered it inside and didn't have a lot of space. Now, it's
outside and growing putting on new branches and leaves. Is it too late in
the season to re-pot it, now? How much bigger of a pot can I put it in? I
have one that would be about 2 sizes bigger, and another pot that would fit
it probably for quite a while that's much bigger. Is it OK to put it
directly into the biggest pot, or should I go up in pot size gradually?

Use the largest pot you can move. Make sure your potting mix has
excellent drainage; poor drainage is fatal for all citrus. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html for a
do-it-yourself potting mix that is perfect for citrus.

Kumquats bloom twice in the summer, about a month between the bloom
periods. The fruit ripens in the winter and needs a little chill to get
the best color.

Of all citrus, kumquats are the most hardy. See the second paragraph at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumquat#Cultivation_and_uses.