Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Potting soil vs garden soil

I had always snobbishly regarded potting soil as something marketed to apartment dwellers or people who didn't understand gardening.

Now have to re-evaluate.

I made a rectangular planter in wood shop years ago. About twice the size of the redwood planters sold in stores. Today gardener helped me get it back on wheels (from which a (*&^%#%&* person had removed it -- don't ask!!). Very heavy.

He said it was because I was using ordinary garden soil; said potting soil would be much lighter. Said it would work just as well.

QUESTIONS: a. Is potting soil just as good as garden soil (assuming garden soil
is OK)?

b. Is it worth replacing x% of garden soil with potting?

c. Or remove and replace all?

d. Leave it alone.

I am NOT looking for work!!! Planter is back on wheels and can be moved, with some difficulty. For now, just asking if anyone agrees with gardener's opinion potting soil vs garden.

HB