Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potting soil vs garden soil

Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always snobbishly regarded potting soil as something marketed
to apartment dwellers or people who didn't understand gardening.

Now have to re-evaluate.

I made a rectangular planter in wood shop years ago. About twice the
size of the redwood planters sold in stores. Today gardener helped
me get it back on wheels (from which a (*&^%#%&* person had removed
it -- don't ask!!). Very heavy.

He said it was because I was using ordinary garden soil; said potting
soil would be much lighter. Said it would work just as well.

QUESTIONS: a. Is potting soil just as good as garden soil (assuming
garden soil is OK)?

b. Is it worth replacing x% of garden soil with potting?

c. Or remove and replace all?

d. Leave it alone.

I am NOT looking for work!!! Planter is back on wheels and can be
moved, with some difficulty. For now, just asking if anyone agrees
with gardener's opinion potting soil vs garden.

HB

Potting mix is often lighter as light components are added (eg expanded
minerals) and many contain quantities of shredded bark etc which is also
less dense than garden soil.

Whether potting mix or garden soil are equally suitable depends on the
quality of both and what you are trying to grow. I would expect some garden
soil (with a good amount of clay and organic matter) would hold both water
and nutrients better than potting mix which is often low on clay and
confected to be light and very free draining. In principle the garden soil
would require less watering and feeding but this may not be an issue.

If you are going to be moving the tub frequently and the weight is a real
issue then consider replacement. Otherwise provided the drainage is
adequate and the plants are doing well don't bother.