Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potting soil vs garden soil

On 7/5/2013 12:01 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always snobbishly regarded potting soil as something marketed
to apartment dwellers or people who didn't understand gardening.

Now have to re-evaluate.

I made a rectangular planter in wood shop years ago. About twice the
size of the redwood planters sold in stores. Today gardener helped
me get it back on wheels (from which a (*&^%#%&* person had removed
it -- don't ask!!). Very heavy.

He said it was because I was using ordinary garden soil; said potting
soil would be much lighter. Said it would work just as well.

QUESTIONS: a. Is potting soil just as good as garden soil (assuming
garden soil is OK)?

b. Is it worth replacing x% of garden soil with potting?

c. Or remove and replace all?

d. Leave it alone.

I am NOT looking for work!!! Planter is back on wheels and can be
moved, with some difficulty. For now, just asking if anyone agrees
with gardener's opinion potting soil vs garden.

HB

There is often a difference in water retention, which affects drainage.
In the garden, roots can spread to find water; and excess water will
either run off or soak deeper. In a container, roots are constrained,
and they will either drown because excess water cannot drain away
quickly enough or else they will dry because the soil does not retain
sufficient moisture between being watered.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html for a
do-it-yourself potting mix.

--
David E. Ross