Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Runner Beans

On 06/07/2013 11:42, Judith in England wrote:
On 5 Jul 2013 23:28:53 GMT, wrote:

Judith in England wrote:
I always pull up the old roots and start again from seed in the next year.

I have been reading that you can actually leave the roots to over-winter.

Any experiences? Worth while?

I thought the entire* point of runner beans was to leave the roots in
so that the nitrogen-fixing nodules of the roots conditioner the soil
ready to make it your brassica* bed next year.

I must admit - I do actually chop off the stem above the roots and leave them
in the ground until next year when I plant the new seedlings.

I had heard what you have said - but I have no idea whether it is true or not,
or whether I am actually doing the correct thing.

I am probably asking for trouble -but I have grown my runner beans in the same
place year after year. None of this crop rotation lark!!!

I am actually trying a couple of courgettes between the rows this year - as
that three foot gap seemed to be wasted!!

When my beans are fully grown you would have a job getting between the
rows to harvest the courgettes!