Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On 06/07/2013 17:28, Sacha wrote:
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with a
fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and harvesting
take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with lettuce plants
a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a bad name though
thankfully, not all do this.

Oh come on Sacha the supermarkets are full of vastly overpriced and over
packaged Organic(TM) produce to pander to the whims of the worried well
with more money than sense. They deserve to be ripped off.

Minimum inputs growing is rational but the irrational fear of all
chemicals that Organic(TM) growers and the Henry Doublespeak association
stand for it just a cynical license to print money.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown