Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Bird id?

On 2013-07-06 20:50:23 +0100, Malcolm said:

In article , David Hill
writes

It was too small for a crow and didn't have the movements or coloration
of a thrush. While we're not far from the Dart as the bird flies, we've
never seen waders here and its legs weren't long enough either, so the
woodpecker idea still seems most likely. Needless to say, we haven't
seen it again!

This is the Female Greater spotted Woodpecker, the size would be about
right, but I've never seen any of them on the ground,

Maybe you haven't, but they do feed on the ground from time to time,
foraging for insects, ants, seeds and fruits.

It is also worth bearing in mind that judging the size of a bird
without reference points is well known to be very difficult.

All I can say is that going by what we often see from our bedroom
window - rooks, jackdaws, blackbirds, wood pigeons, ring necked doves,
occasional buzzards ont he ground in bad winters, a sparrowhawk flying
past three times today, sparrows, this was more black bird size and
perhaps just a bit larger.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com