Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On 2013-07-07 10:23:53 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with
a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and
harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with
lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a
bad name though thankfully, not all do this.

This is one of those times when some git charges £2.50 for 6 and another
git charges £3.50 for 6. For goodnes sake all are grossly overpriced.
I would pay £1 for 50. If anyone would need to. It should be classed as
illegal, extortionate, or just pure greed. Yuk.

Baz

We are not greedy, Baz. Please don't expect nurserymen and their staff
to work from 8 in the morning until 5 at night, or later, in all
weathers, so that you can pay too little for quite a lot. There's a
big difference between making a living and profiteering and
approximately 40p a plant for which someone else has done the basic
work and bought the seed, is hardly expensive! You appear to think we
should be a charity and give you cheap plants. Like every other
business, we have to pay wages, insurance, taxes, council tax, rates,
oil bills, maintenance and if we're lucky, eat. Just because these
are plants, there are a few people like you who appear to think a
nursery business is just an offshoot of hobby gardening and that they
should be sold for twopence. Very offensive.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com