Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Runner Beans

On 06/07/2013 11:42, Judith in England wrote:
On 5 Jul 2013 23:28:53 wrote:

Judith in wrote:
I always pull up the old roots and start again from seed in the next year.

I have been reading that you can actually leave the roots to over-winter.

Any experiences? Worth while?

I thought the entire* point of runner beans was to leave the roots in
so that the nitrogen-fixing nodules of the roots conditioner the soil
ready to make it your brassica* bed next year.

I must admit - I do actually chop off the stem above the roots and leave them
in the ground until next year when I plant the new seedlings.

I had heard what you have said - but I have no idea whether it is true or not,
or whether I am actually doing the correct thing.

I am probably asking for trouble -but I have grown my runner beans in the same
place year after year. None of this crop rotation lark!!!

Judith, we did the same (ignorant bliss) for many years, but eventually
the plants got poorer and poorer. When I dug up the roots that final
year, they were *smoothered* in bean root aphids . Never got good
beans from that site again.

I am actually trying a couple of courgettes between the rows this year - as
that three foot gap seemed to be wasted!!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London