Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Sacha" wrote...

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with a
fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces. Ours
are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic being more
expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're grown in (if
different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add maybe 1p to the
whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown organic veg being more
expensive as their care, treatment and harvesting take more man hours,
this is absolutely not the case with lettuce plants a couple of inches
high. This gives organic growers a bad name though thankfully, not all do
this.

Our little local nursery, Dunkirk Nursery in Egham, sells all veg plants at
£1 for a strip of 12 and very good quality. It means it's actually not
worth your while growing them yourself unless you want something specific.

Just found this, can't believe they have a Facebook page. Must be one of the
Grandchildren's doing.

https://www.facebook.com/DunkirkNurseryEgham

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.