Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On 07/07/2013 10:23, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote in :

Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery with
a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby lettuces.
Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification in organic
being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The compost they're
grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly, but that would add
maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can understand fully grown
organic veg being more expensive as their care, treatment and
harvesting take more man hours, this is absolutely not the case with
lettuce plants a couple of inches high. This gives organic growers a
bad name though thankfully, not all do this.

This is one of those times when some git charges £2.50 for 6 and another
git charges £3.50 for 6. For goodnes sake all are grossly overpriced.
I would pay £1 for 50. If anyone would need to. It should be classed as
illegal, extortionate, or just pure greed. Yuk.

Baz

Yes Baz I could do you 50 lettuce plants for £1.00 but they would be
sown in open ground and pulled bare root, chance of survival to give you
a hearted lettuce about 5%.
We used to sell trays of 48 lettuce plants for £1.00 including the tray,
but that was in the early 60's
In 1976 I bought 1000 gallons of Red Diesel and 500 galls of paraffin
for £86, yesterday I went out and got 2 Jerry cans of Petrol cost was
just over £56.
During a debate in Parliament on 5th May 1960 regarding Farm Workers'
Wages the following statement was made
" farm workers are still working longer hours for less wages, a
46-hour week for a minimum of £8"
Now a school leaver will get at least Grade 1 above compulsory school
age £242.19 a week
or £ 6.21 an hour and £9.32 an hour overtime.
After 30 weeks they are supposed to be able to move on to Grade 2
£271.44 a week
or £6.96 an hour and £10.44 an hour overtime.
See Agricultural Wages Board for - Gov.uk