Old 25-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Composting

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

Does anyone have a URL for a website that has info on home composting?

There are uk.rec.gardening FAQs on it.

And where is it held?

I have been composting my own stuff since I mved into my new house
last July

Depending on how you do it, that isn't long.

Oh...Most people state 9 months...But mine is barely making an impact

Well, in a traditional heap, that could be rather hasty - mine takes
c. 18 months. In what way has it not composted? That could help
identify the cause.

Well...Everything is still 'woody'

Although the grass trimmings start to breakdown it just gets to a certain
point then stops...

I turned a small part over the other day to have a look at it...Adn aside
from being all brown and slightly slimey...It wsa just compacted rubbish...

I have also been told that I shoudl expect a more 'Earthy' smell....
I don't have that....It smells like....Well...rotting veggies

Should I be adding in other things apart from grass and scraps?

Someone mentioned woodshavings....??