Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Reparing a sloping lawn

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:24:43 AM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:
"David L. Martel" wrote.

Bob,

I've no experience with Bermuda grass. I also do not know where you live.

Thus I have no idea what is "normal".

Why are you fertilizing? Is your soil deficient? When did you have your

soil tested?

I doubt that this is a good time for planting or fertilizing grass. Is

this recommended by your extension agent?

Watering 3-4 times a day? Who recommended that?

Dave M.

Other grass is OK but testing showed soil low in nitrogen and phosphorus. I'm only fertilizing existing good areas now - not newly seeded patches.

Around here in So Calif you can seed year round. Been 60's and 70's the last few weeks and should be an inch or more before it hits 80.

Doesn't get hot until late August.

****Hah! and yet again, Hah! Even near the beach where it's always 20 degrees cooler than inland, it has been bitchin' hot last few days. Saving grace is the "night and morning low clouds" that I've been hearing on the radio for (censored] years. Only too bad for the tourists and folks from inland who have their beach day cut short.

County agents only deal with commercial farms here. They charge a LOT to test soil, so the home kits are the only practical way to do.

It's common practice to keep the seed wet until it starts to sprout. Then cut back as it takes root.

Been about 3 weeks and Bermuda grass is up about 1/2-3/4 inch now. Since I'm a novice at this, apparently it just takes regular watering and patience.

Here's a tip that really works well.... Hanging a few CDs over the patches kept all the birds away. A neighbor seeded their lawn a few weeks earlier and I counted 40+ birds in their lawn every morning. Never had one in my yard.

Another tip -- don't use the lovely wife's CDs.

****What do the birds prefer? Classic jazz? Hip hop? Country? Chamber music?

HB