Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default more grapes vs better grapes

wrote:
Hello,

I'm growing grapes. Several websites advise me to prune leaves
from the grapevine, in order to produce more grapes. I'm not
interested in more grapes; I want better grapes. My naive guess
is that more leaves produce more sugar and sweeter fruit.

which websites?

it is important to know what type of grape vine
you have, what kind of grapes you desire, if you
are growing wine grapes, etc.

Anybody want to weigh in?

doesn't make any sense to me and i've not ever read
of this in any of my readings. i'd only prune leaves
off if they are diseased or i wanted some for making
stuffed grape leaves.

thinning grape bunches and pruning vines properly or
even removing bunches of grapes are all useful
techniques for various types of grapes, conditions and
different desired results. these sound different than
what you are talking about tho...

songbird