Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On 2013-07-08 09:34:36 +0100, David Hill said:

My stepson has a nominal 'day off' once a week. In practice, he spends
it delivering plants to customers, or talking to people who want
landscaping and gardening advice. So in fact, both he and Ray work 7/7.
Few people not born to it can manage that.

What's a "Day off"?
as for 9 -5 work.
Finished watering the dahlias last night at 10.15pm and the wind then
felt as if someone had opened the oven door, at midnight the temp
outside was 70f, down from a high of 81f.
This year I am growing all of the dahlias; except the tree dahlias; in
8 inch pots plunged through ground cover membrane, and am mixing a
compost of 50/50 peat and coir with added pearlite.
It dries much quicker so is taking some getting used to.
I'm also having problems with a couple of crows who've pulled out
several plants. and a fox that jumps over the electric netting to cross
the field, to lazy to walk round the outside.
David @ a hot Swansea Bay

Money for old rope being a nurseryman, eh? Last night, we had a drink
in the garden and Ray then watered most of the borders near the house
(having already done two of the glasshouses, while the staff did the
tunnels and third glasshouse before leaving) He then came in for
supper. At around 9, I heard Matthew going round, barrowing plants down
for today's customers, straightening up and generally getting ready for
the next day's work, as usual. As for the temperatures they're all
working in at the moment...!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com