Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Granity Granity is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery
with a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby
lettuces. Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification
in organic being more expensive at this stage in their growth! The
compost they're grown in (if different) may be slightly more costly,
but that would add maybe 1p to the whole tray! But while I can
understand fully grown organic veg being more expensive as their
care, treatment and harvesting take more man hours, this is
absolutely not the case with lettuce plants a couple of inches high.
This gives organic growers a bad name though thankfully, not all do
this.
Why not do an experiment Sacha? Sow some seed in organic compost and then sell the plants at £3.00 for a pack of 6 labelled 'Organic' and see which you sell most of? The result would be interesting. :-)

Could someone tell me please the point of 'organic' seed? Surely it's the way the plant is grown that makes it organic, not the seed.