Old 25-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Composting

Neil Jones wrote in
:

What is the "Biomass"?

The grassy area (Its not quiet a lawn yet!) was about 3 ft high and all
over grown...SO there was all the cuttings from that....Weeds that were dug
up...
Outer branches of bushes that had been trimmed back....

That made up the main of it...
Then there were a patch of old...Dying flowers and plants that I dug up and
dumped....
Aswell as about 6ft of stinging nettles that had encroached onto the garden

And from then there has been kitchen scraps and more grass cuttings

I would suggest that you make sure that it is kept damp and doesn't
dry out. Urine makes an excellent activator.

Really?
I have noted that cats to goto the toilet there....

Also.....Not sure if this is at all relevent...
But I had a couple of rats take up residence in it for a couple of
weeks....They made a den then I trapped and got rid of them....

But they left a bit of a mess.....

Don't put human faeces in unless you are really really certain of
getting a high temperature.

Wasn't thinking of doing that anyway....Although I DID drop a little dog
muck in it a few times when I found it....
I didn't think it would be a bad thing....(And there is more than likely
rat droppings in there too)

Don't put in preserved wood. It could be full of arsenic. Anything
that was once alive and isn't contaminated in someway with toxins or
potential pathogens.

Nope.....Its all pretty much basic plants and grass and scraps (No meat
though)