Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ted Bear Ted Bear is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 23:41:21 +0100, Janet wrote:

But think of all those harmful chemicals contained in that seed

that
would be transmitted in the mature veg consumer.
Assuming you go along with the Homeopathy that 1 part in a

million can
have an effect.

What an eedgit.

Buying organic veg seed is a way to support its producers in
organic agriculture, which is an ethical preference for many.

I'm of two minds here.

On the one hand I wish small-scale, local growers to prosper, and in
general the concept of organic is undeniably appealing. I don't know
at what price differential I would consider organic seed not worth
buying (double might be trouble), but the feel-good factors are worth
something.

On the other hand, Homeopathy *is* bunk, and at the core it is flawed
for exactly the sort of reason that David points out. Homeopathy is
worse, of course - the dilution ratios mean that essentially zero of
the supposed active ingredient remains, which is David's point - the
question of whether the ingredient actually has any effect is clearly
moot - but there is also the 'magic shaking'. It's also worse
because it takes people away from treatment that might really help
them.

There may be another problem that the two groups share - many are
sincere in their belief that they have The Truth on their side. I
confess that I have always had a strong reaction to the kind of badly
informed person who will not change their views when the facts are
laid before them, and that probably is a factor in the
feel-good/price balance.

--
Tony Evans (Control) on the decline of usenet: "Usenet has very
little new blood and is overly full of bile spitting vindictive