Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

On 08/07/2013 19:58, Granity wrote:
Sacha[_10_ Wrote:
Ray was really incensed the other day to see that another nursery
with a fifth of our staff, is charging £3.50 for a pack of 6 baby
lettuces. Ours are £2.50 and there is absonlutely no justification
in organic being more expensive at this stage in their growth!

That isn't the point though. Organic(TM) is a licensed ripoff scam!

This gives organic growers a bad name though thankfully, not all do
this.

Why not do an experiment Sacha? Sow some seed in organic compost and
then sell the plants at £3.00 for a pack of 6 labelled 'Organic' and see
which you sell most of? The result would be interesting. :-)

Yes it would be. I don't think that many people actually fall for this
garbage but some do pay insane prices for supermarket Organic(TM) junk.

Could someone tell me please the point of 'organic' seed? Surely it's
the way the plant is grown that makes it organic, not the seed.

One major difference is that the Organic(TM) seed comes with a nice
selection of interesting diseases and fungi contamination that the
conventional ones would have been treated against. It is a very bad idea
to consume any seeds that have been sold for cultivation.

Organic(TM) preservative free peanut butter is one of the most
potentially dangerous foods on sale to the public. It always contains
fungi capable of making very nasty aflatoxins with long term
carcinogenic risk. Certain boutique machines for making peanut butter
"fresh" in US shops are particularly bad in this respect. eg

http://www.emagazine.com/daily-news/...t-butter-scare

Store it improperly and you are almost certain to get a dose.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown