Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default And speaking of organic...

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 23:41:21 +0100, Janet wrote:

But think of all those harmful chemicals contained in that seed

that
would be transmitted in the mature veg consumer.
Assuming you go along with the Homeopathy that 1 part in a

million can
have an effect.

What an eedgit.

Buying organic veg seed is a way to support its producers in
organic agriculture, which is an ethical preference for many.

I'm of two minds here.

On the one hand I wish small-scale, local growers to prosper, and in
general the concept of organic is undeniably appealing. I don't know
at what price differential I would consider organic seed not worth
buying (double might be trouble), but the feel-good factors are worth
something.

On the other hand, Homeopathy *is* bunk, and at the core it is flawed
for exactly the sort of reason that David points out.

That's a complete red herring to the real issue which focuses on the
ecological aspects of organic production OR, the preservation of old
seed varieties, gene diversity, small-scale producers versus global
megabusiness, and bypassing the "patented seed" issue and all it
entails.

There may be another problem that the two groups share - many are
sincere in their belief that they have The Truth on their side. I
confess that I have always had a strong reaction to the kind of badly
informed person who will not change their views when the facts are
laid before them, and that probably is a factor in the
feel-good/price balance.

I have a bad reaction to the kind of people who out of sheer ignorance
or stupidity introduce a strawman argument to promote their own
uninformed agenda and muddy the waters about a serious topic of concern
to all.

The kind of people who are in fact to blame for the passing of chinese
whisper misinformation among gardeners about the above issues and may
not even realise they are acting as the dupes of Syngenta, Monsanto
etc's campaign to discredit the Organic movement, small seed savers,
etc.

Janet