Old 28-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Glenn S.

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

I'm planning a vegie filter (VF) for my front yard ponds this spring also
( http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/index.html ) and was originally planning a
foot deep 'box' with bare roots plants (hyacinth, water lettuce, etc) and
water entry on one end and exit on the other. However, after reading a
portion of your post, I'm reconsidering one aspect of my design. I like
your idea of having 'a slight slant to the middle to collect debris'. I
think my design will now be 12" on the ends and 15" in the center. Thanks
for the idea.

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV
2002 Flagstaff 228D Pop-up FOR SALE
.... ----- http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Camper001.html

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra, do they say why 18?

I am battled two design right now. One that has the filter about 12 inches
deep, flat bottom, with a slight slant to the middle to collect debris and
make cleaning easier. I am also thinking of a having a more sculpted

bottom,
that includes different depth areas, hoping that may help in settlement.

Right now, the 12 inch deep across the board is winning. Seems the most
simple. I could be swayed to 18 though if I would gain some benefit. I

just
want to keep it shallow enough that I can get in there and clean it

easily.

BV.