Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Moss Killer

In article o.uk,
says...

Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it?

No you need a specific moss killer. Shed sells something for treating
mossy roofs or you could use ferrous oxide in water, the active
ingredient in lawn moss treatments. When it's dead brush it out of the
crevices with a wire brush.

Talking of moss killer I posted a query a few weeks ago asking advice
on about dethatching the "lawn" which had become so mossy it was sodden
and unusable, grass rapidly retreating.

I borrowed an electric lawn scarifier to try, which was so
effective I went out and bought the same model (£60 in Dobbies GC, same
in B and Q). It raked out enough moss to fill 16 cubic-metre builders
bags. Then I treated the lawn with a moss, weed and feed gritty stuff.
Huge black patches where it had been pure moss.

However, weeks later the moss is all gone, the ground is not nearly
as wet and spongy and and the grass is rapidly growing back into the
gaps and looking good. Lots of work but worth it.

Janet