Old 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Who or what is digging in my pot?

On 11/07/2013 16:25, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Outside my back door I have a dozen pots of various herbs on a
gravelled area. Something is digging in the pot of thyme throwing the
compost onto the gravel. About a third is now out and the roots of the
time exposed almost to the bottom, this has been happening over
several days. What is it likely to be? There is very little moisture
there, though there are odd trails of slugs/snails on the exposed
compost. Not worried, just wondering, mind you it is a bit of a pain
as I will have to clean up the gravel nearby. I intend replanting with
a new thyme plant then cover the compost with mesh. That still does
not explain the cause. Any ideas please?

I am thinking toad or toads, have a gentle investigation and you may
find the culprit still in there, they are not hunting just looking for a
cool spot to spend the day and often return to the same pot night after
night.

We've just had a field mouse come and introduce himself at our back
door. Bold as brass. Never seen one round here before