Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water worries

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
On 12/07/2013 11:26, Chris Hogg wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Just let it run for the first few minutes on full flow, even remove
the spray head altogether, so that no spray or mist is produced.

I already do that in warm weather. The smell suggests that something
isn't right with that first batch of water so I'm not taking any
chances. Martin's comments suggest that's a wise course of action

Whether it is wise is unclear, but at least it's not actually in
the tinfoil hat area. You are reducing a risk that is already
negligible by comparison with many others you take.

This does NOT apply to people with poor immune systems or otherwise
at risk, who are well advised to be cautious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.