Old 15-07-2013, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default String beans

Higgs Boson wrote:

Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...
Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to neighbor.
Would like to save some for "winter".
Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do, should I
blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions, some purporting to be backed by science.
Anybody have practical experience to share?

I fill pint zip-locs with green beans cut into about 3/4" lengths
(okra too) and freeze for fall soups/stews (really no reason to blanch
if used within a few months), can even cook your veggies in stoups
immediately and freeze, cooked veggies take much less freezer space
and are always ready to eat... I make my soups condensed, takes far
less space, just add some water to suit when heating (use minimal salt
in foods to be frozen, obviously will freeze better - salt to taste
upon serving). Freezing in rectangular containers takes much less
freezer space than round. I make lots of soups/stews to freeze (I use
a 16 qt soup pot), I haven't bought canned soup in more than 40 years.
Everyone who vegetable gardens needs a second refrigerator freezer,
mine is in my basement, a fridge/freezer won't work well or last long
in a hot/cold garage... how else can one store a glut of fresh veggies
until ready to use... a second fridge-freezer is far handier than a
stand alone freezer. Also everyone who vegetable gardens needs to
learn how to pickle. There are many recipes, I prefer fermented
pickles (they go in my second fridge):
http://foodpreservation.about.com/od...reen_Beans.htm
http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm
GEAppliances.com

Refrigerator - Installed Outdoors

Cold Temperatures:
We do not recommend installing a refrigerator where temperatures will
go below 60 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, the unit is less
efficient and will continue to lose efficiency as the outdoor
temperature decreases.
At 32 degrees, there is no cooling capability at all.

Note: It is not recommended that refrigerators be used in unheated
locations, such as garages, porches, or unheated rooms during periods
when the temperature is likely to fall below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hot temperatures:
We do not recommend installing a refrigerator where the temperature
will exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

Note: There is a possibility that operating the refrigerator in
extremely high temperature could cause the oil to overheat and break
down, thus damaging the compressor or sealed system.

There is a possibility that some harm could come to the compressor or
sealed system by operating the refrigerator at temperature extremes.
Below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil could become thick and not
circulate properly.
Above 110 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil could overheat and break down.

Refrigeration systems rely on the boiling of freon under pressure and
heat. If the outside temperature is not sufficient, the freon will not
boil to a vapor and no cooling will take place. Low temperatures can
also fool the thermostat into thinking proper temperatures have been
reached. This is true of the new CFC-free refrigerants as well.
---