Old 25-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Composting

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

And where is it held?

Try a search - e.g. google - it is what I would have to do!

Dang...Work!!!

B-)

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

Oh...Most people state 9 months...But mine is barely making an impact

It depends a lot on what you put on it. 18 months is for sapwood
prunings.

Ah....Don't have much of that here! B-)

I have also been told that I shoudl expect a more 'Earthy' smell....
I don't have that....It smells like....Well...rotting veggies

Ah! The key things are the slimy aspect and the smell. You are not
letting enough air into it, perhaps because it is too compacted,
perhaps because there is too much water.

Hmmm...After the warm spate I woudl have expected it to dry out
some.....Hmmmm

Should I be adding in other things apart from grass and scraps?
Someone mentioned woodshavings....??

Or sapwood prunings, or anything that would help air get into the
heap. You don't critically need even that, as you can get the same
effect by turning the heap over (and not compacting it) at intervals.
I suggest doing that - just fork it into a new pile, making sure that
it is all damp and not compacted.

Ok...Looks like I have a job tomorrow!

Is there anything else I can do?
I'll drop by the local sawmill....I picked up some for my friends gerbil
and they don't charge.....

How much will i need for a 3ft square box?
Any ideas?