Old 15-07-2013, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default String beans

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...

Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to
neighbor.

Would like to save some for "winter".

Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do,
should I
blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions,
some purporting to be backed by science.

Anybody have practical experience to share?

TIA

HB

Blanch them. The reason to do so is to stop enzyme activity which degrades
the veges even when frozen. Take care to time them carefully and refresh in
cold water otherwise you will cook them and reduce the freshness and soften
the testure. There are tables of times for various veges available. I
realise than on usenet/internet it is possible to get an argument about
anything but I haven't heard anybody against blanching, what reason is
given?

David

We normally boil them for 5 - 6 minutes, then put them in ice water.
They get sautéed briefly in butter with shallots, and parsley, and they
are ready to serve.

Seems freezing them after the ice water bath would be the most practical.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie