Old 15-07-2013, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Unknown bugs

On 15/07/2013 12:44, gogo wrote:
On 15/07/2013 11:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:45:31 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Had this pic sent to me to see if I could identify the bugs.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc54b936e.jpg

I have no idea, so it's over to you folks.
David at a misty side of Swansea Bay

Quite possibly Anthocoris nemorum, a member of the Cimicidae family.
AKA Common Flowerbug, see
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_flowerbug and
http://tinyurl.com/nl7z7jh for images. Feeds on greenfly and other
small insects, apparently, and will bite humans. We get them here, or
something very similar. My insect book says they're blood-suckers, and
I know from experience that if you get bitten by one, it comes up like
a horse-fly or cleg bite, and stays with you for several days and
itches like hell.

My only slight reservation about the identification is that the
markings on your bugs look altogether crisper and sharper than in the
images or in my insect book, so they may just be something else.

How about Grypocoris (Lophyromiris) stysi?

http://tinyurl.com/q7gauda

Yes I think you've got it spot on
Mant thanks to everyone who posted, I've learned a bit more
David @a now sunny Swansea Bay