Old 15-07-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Water tanks and soil born diseases

On 15/07/2013 14:15, Pete wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

We, like a lot of allotment sites, have to use water tanks to fill our
watering cans. Someone on our site is using the tank near us as
somewhere to wash off soil from tools, produce and hands such that I
dug out a thick layer of mud from the bottom of the tank. My
understanding is that if that person has some soil born diseases on
their plot (White Rot. Club Root) they will spread it around the site
by doing such things.
But am I right in that thinking?

Correct.

Using fresh (mains or rain) tanked water for activities other than
irrigation should be considered for final treatment
as foul water.

Fraid I am not even a fan of using ex-bathing or personal washing water
for plant watering either.
Best directed in to the sceptical tank with other humane detritus ---
imho !!!

Pete

I see nothing wrong with using that sort of water for general use, it's
different if you are soaking fruit or veg just before harvesting.