Old 15-07-2013, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Family Apple Tree

In November 2010 I bought a 2-year bare-root family apple tree
from Blackmoor. On M26 stock I have Discovery, James Grieve and
Sunset.

The problem I have is that Discovery, a tip bearer, is the least
vigorous of the three. As it has not grown a lot, I guess that
pruning it back is not a good idea. However, if I winter prune
the other two, presumably this will stimulate them into further
growth, and increase the unbalance.

Would it be sensible to reduce James Grieve and
Sunset slightly by summer pruning?

Chris.
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK