Old 15-07-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ceonthus Concha dying?

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

It isn't just the cold, but the wet, and the local fungi. A lot
of such plants die from root-rot, and that can happen in a few
years or after many decades. I had to get rid of mine because it
got too big for the location, and they don't respond well to hard
pruning, but I wouldn't have expected a long life.

This is because, despite my soil being 60% sand and being in one
of the drier parts of the country, thyme, rosemary, sage etc. are
all short-lived. I have also lost quite a few unrelated plants
after a few years, for the same reason, including buddleia.

I'd have thought ceanothus would have more trouble where mine was
growing (Sussex wealden clay), than the sandy soil where you are. Other
than a couple of days each year, wealden clay has two states - sopping,
claggy wet and concrete, bone dry. But, as you say, there's no
accounting why some plants succeed and others don't.

Yes, I agree. In my case, such plants die because there is some
fungus in the soil that is not present in some other places. Why?
Not a clue.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.