Old 16-07-2013, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default String beans

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:21:57 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...

Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to neighbor..

Would like to save some for "winter".

Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do, should I

blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions, some purporting to be backed by science.

Anybody have practical experience to share?

Interesting. The diversity of views to blanch or not to blanch pretty much reflects what I found on-line.

Guess I'll have to set up a proper experiment:

1. Harvest quantity of beans early a.m. or late afternoon.

2. Wash and cut into 1" or less pieces.

3. Pack several bags with unblanched.

4. Pack equal quantity with blanched.

5. Use different colored bags or labels for blanch/non-blanch

6. Place in freezer.

7. After X period -- say 4-months -- eat some out of each kind.

8. But how avoid pre-determination bias? Have to get a neighbor to nuke them,
so I don't know which came out of blanch/non-blanch bags.

This should get me a Nobel prize.

Brooklyn that was a sensible tip about making space-saving condensed soups & adding (liquid) just before consumption.

Can't afford the second refrig/freezer, however; utilities are through the roof here. After [censored] years in the same community, I look back through a veil of tears at the price of electric, gas, water, trash in a by-gone era. Thank goodness I don't need A/C, like I bet David Ross does on the other side of the mountain.

HB