Old 16-07-2013, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default cabbage

phorbin wrote:
songbird says...
phorbin wrote:
BTK in most cases does just fine.

Why don't you try it.

doesn't meet my requirements.

My response was to Roy's suggestion.

ok.

Having read another post of yours, I'd bet that your biggest helper will
probably be wasps.

If you've watched them patrol cabbages, broccoli and the like, you'll have
noticed that they are very thorough and go over every leaf top and bottom until
they find something.

We let the wasps nest mostly wherever and have their own harvest. Between our
picking and squashing and their stinging and carrying away, the cabbages do
well.

One season we had a huge paper wasp nest in the garden shed and no cabbage
caterpillars.

we have plenty of hornets/wasps around. they
like the rocks in the rock piles, the backsides
of stepping stones, many of the wind chimes or
other decorations. also they often are nesting
on the eves of the house (but i knock those down).

when we had scarecrows the wasps/hornets really
liked those.

i've not ever seen them crawling on the cabbage
plants, but will hope to see them soon. i picked
about 70 cabbage worms today. will check them
again in the morning. rinsing off the droppings
helps find new ones.

will have to inspect more closely for eggs
this morning.

It's a bit different after the cabbages head up.

as i've never grown cabbage before i'm guessing
that is what is starting to happen now as the
middle of the heads are starting to have more
curling leaves packed together. the cabbage
worms are doing a good job of chewing their
way through those leaves.

Then our problem is mostly earwigs and slugs.

luckily i don't think either of those are a
significant problem around here.

songbird