Old 16-07-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

Just to note that despite the hot, dry weather and the forecast that this
may go on for a long time people are still cutting lawns to almost bare
earth for some reason.

The short cut lawns are now going brown, so presumably they will suffer or
require regular watering.

Doesn't seem logical.

Still, I do remember summers as a child when the garden sprinkler was on
(our or friends houses) and many a happy hour in swimming trunks jumping
through the spray.

However I thought regular lawn watering was now frowned on (or at least
discouraged by water meters).

I thought you were supposed to raise the blades if you had to cut, but if
possible not cut at all once dry weather set in.

Cheers

Dave R