Old 16-07-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Ladybirds

On 2013-07-15 22:38:24 +0100, kay said:

-
On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:
-
Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

....and damsel flies.

David-

Still no ladybirds but quite a few of the common blue damsel flies.
We're awaiting the arrival of something classier! ;-)-

I've seen one ladybird so far this year (and have been looking a lot).
Perhaps the corresponding absence of green/white-fly may explain that
and they've gone elsewhere for lunch. OTOH, inundated with damsel
flies which are getting so crowded that they'll try to lay in anything
that has a bit of water in it (including the cat's water bowl - while
the cat's drinking from it - and a glass of water I'd put down for a
minute).
.

Pests in general seem to be remarkably thin on the ground. Everything's
looking really healthy.

Bumblebees around at last, but still some queens, which is late for them
to be flying. Hoverflies haven't really arrived yet. Far fewer
butterflies than one would expect in this weather, though we did have a
ringlet in the garden today -that's a first. Lots of red damsel flies
and a scattering of blue.

We've got lots of bumblebees and a few hoverflies, aphids are
remarkably low in number but I suppose the cold spring has something to
do with that. We're still feeding the birds as insect life isn't too
prolific. But the rooks and jackdaws have gone off on their holidays
and won't be back for a few weeks, I expect.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com