Old 16-07-2013, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

On 16/07/2013 13:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/07/2013 09:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just to note that despite the hot, dry weather and the forecast that this
may go on for a long time people are still cutting lawns to almost bare
earth for some reason.

Probably in the hope that all the grass will be completely removed, thus
ending the need to do any mowing once and for all.

Is there a more environmentally unfriendly garden plant than lawn grass?

I think the lawn is a very environmentally friendly planting. It is good
for wildlife; it is good for soaking up excess rainwater; it is good for
stopping soil erosion, esp on sloping ground; it is good at providing
low-level humidity (even on a summer's day I have to wait for the
morning dew to dry before mowing).

To pick up on David's point, it doesn't really need mowing mindlessly
every week whether it needs it or not. It's people, or at any rate some
'gardeners', who are environmentally unfriendly.

During such hot weather, the best way to neaten a lawn is not to mow it,
but to trim the edges.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London